Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009


My printer was broken, so I couldn't print out a delicious looking recipe for sweet potatoes last week. On Sunday I searched and searched for about a 1/2 hour; but no...couldn't find it. Sooooo, I decided, HEY! I've cooked for 31 years and I've never had a complaint yet. Helps if you love to eat! Well, there are the picky eaters like both of my girls; but they're starting to find out what they've been missing. Anywho, I decided that I could figure out how to make it and went looking for similar recipes with similar ingredients. I found two, and then I combined them. Oh, and I used to be one of those anal-retentive people who had to follow a recipe to a T. I've learned over time how to experiment a little, so don't hold me to amounts or anything else, and let's hope it's a hit! Here's my version:

Deb's Made-up Sweet Potatoes

3 Tbsp. butter
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-in. thick, parboil for 8 mins. pat dry
minced onion - not too much. (I'm gonna use dried in the jar), sale ground pepper
approx. 6 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
brown sugar
1-1.5 Cups Half and Half or heavy cream (I'd use heavy cream, but I always have H&H in the fridge, no sense spending more ;0)
pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Butter large casserole dish (I'll probably use a 9 X 13 Pyrex)
Mix together bacon, pecans and brown sugar
Mix together cream cheese, Half and Half and brown sugar

Layer potato slices
sprinkle with salt, pepper and minced onion
Layer bacon/pecan/br. sugar mixture
drizzle some cream mixture between layers. Keep some to

Top with remaining cream mixture and dot with butter.

Cover with foil and bake 20-30 mins.
Remove foil, return to oven approx. 20 mins. until liquid is absorbed, potatoes are cooked and top is brown.

No comments: